Wednesday 30 April 2014

Happy Scrappy Blanket Ta-Dah.....






'The Happy Scrappy Blanket'


All happily finished and being put to good use already.



This happy little blanket came about as a result of the Portobello blanket I made last year for a new Nephew. I made the Portobello Blanket alongside the Carousel Blanket, which I made for another Nephew. I adored making these two blankets. I was reminded of how lovely making a ripple blanket is. Very soothing and rhythmical. I wanted to make a bigger, slightly more adult version with a highly vintage look and feel to it. So, I set about finding vintage colours to put together. It was also a good way to use up my scraps of yarn in my ever growing basket of bits. A myriad of yarns and brands. If I didn't have enough to repeat more rows, then I found a similar, alternative shade. All dk and made on a 4mm hook. I think that's why I love it so....it really IS scrappy.




Gosh, I love it. It fits the bill to a 'T'. It's EXACTLY what I envisaged.  This is DEFINITELY a blanket from the chest in the Narnia Wardrobe

It looks suitably old. It looks inviting and comfy. It looks like it has been in the family for years. 

Perfect.

It's big enough to fit a few Bears under for cuddles. It's great for journeys, sofa slumping, and picnic days. 



Gentle wave upon wave of vintage happy scrappy colour. 





I took a lot of shots....sorry to bore you. I loved it so.













I have varied tastes, depending on how I feel when I wake up in the morning. I adore pastels, I adore bright colours, I adore all white, I enjoy girly, I enjoy vintage, retro, kitsch. The list goes on. I'm an eclectic girl. For the days when I wake up and I wish I were in yester-year, this is the blanket that will be in my grasp that day.













It looks old, like it has a history already. I feel a bit like Phoebe in the 'Apothecary' episode. 











So.....another project finished. I need to get my teeth into something else now. I would love to do an adult version of the 'Carousel Blanket' I already have some shades in mind for that. So watch this space!

For now though, I am happy with what I have achieved with this blanket. I love it when, what you have in your head, exactly translates to your finished product.


Oh happy days......


xxx




P.s This ripple pattern was one found in a crochet book I had, although I cannot for the life of me remember which it is, as the book is on loan to a family member. However, if you've never 'rippled' before and would love to have a go, Lucy from the ever lovely Attic24 has a brilliant ripple tutorial on her blog. so, pop on over  here and have a go......












39 comments:

  1. The colours are really lovely and soothing. I agree, you can't beat the rhythm of making a ripple blanket.
    Enjoy your day. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such lovely soothing colours! Beauitful, as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it's fabulous and I absolutely adore it. It has exactly that feel you describe: vintage, like it has a history and totally comfy too. The colours are so, well, comforting, they really are. And I love how you describe your blankets: it's like an ode to your family.

    And can I say I'm sooo very pleased to hear you will be making another caroussel blanket?! Because I l-o-v-e the first one. One of my current wip's is actually something with a diamond motif too. (But not as pretty as your blanket!)

    Thanks for sharing these pictures of your wonderful blanket.

    Take care! Haafner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh it's just gorgeous V and, yes, you're right, it does somehow look preloved. I think it's your choice of colours - you definitely have a gift for putting colours together.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a gorgeous blanket. I love it when you can use up scraps to make a beautiful lovely thing.

    I am with you on loving different styles. Life is more exciting that way.


    P x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it, i've been inspired over the last few weeks by the little snippets on your posts of this blanket, def makes me want to ripple up all my leftovers.
    Best finished the one I'm on first then ripple fun....beautiful blanket Vannessa
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your new blanket and your blog!! Have a great day, regards Marijtje

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blanket is beautiful - you did a fabulous job. Ripples are one of my favourite things to crochet, and perfect for using up those scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so pretty & lovely, I am ever so slowly trying to teach myself how to 'ripple' & need to move on from granny squares.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all the colors together. It does not look scrappy at all. Planned and gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, not at all bored Vanessa, how could I be with such a colourful vintage delight. I just put my tablet right next to the quilt I am making with the found 1950's (charity shop) hexies, and yes indeedy I do profess your blanket to be vintage! :-) ...Don't mind me, I can be a bit crazy at times...!
    Lovely, lovely.
    Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. So beautiful blanket! Great work! Congrats! I love all gorgeous colours together!
    Have a fabulous day!
    Hugs from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's really beautiful. I love how it looks old and fondly loved already.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous blanket Vanessa and thank you for the link to instructions as I have never done one of these and would love to. Philippa xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful blanket. When I've finished my 'Manly Blanket', I'm hoping to make a ripple one for my eldest daughter - everyone says that they are lovely to make so I'm really looking forward to it. Love your vintage colours. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's lovely in every way - looks lovely, lovely that you have been able to use up scraps (there's something very satisfying about doing that) and I agree wholeheartedly that ripples are lovely to make. Enjoy the rest of your week.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another triumph Vanessa. I LOVE it. The colours are wonderful and ripple blankets are so cosy and soothing to look at. I've only made cot sized ones myself.....but you've got me wanting to make a big one.
    Jacquie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooh what a lovely blanket! Such a pretty vintage look! Your work is so inspiring! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a gorgeous vintage effect, Vanessa! Your scrappy blanket is a very happy one! I love the ripple pattern too, so soothing to work! Your crochet is always so beautiful and inspiring :)
    Have a happy week.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful blanket in gorgeous colours. Love the vintage vibe. So inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  21. WONDERFUL! I love it, so soft and those delicious colours, yum! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have the prettiest bunch of scraps that I ever did see! Such a truly pretty, pretty blanket, it has a vintage vibe, a very loved feel to it - yet it doesn't look old or worn in a negative way. Amazing! There must be fairy magic in that hook of yours...Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's absolutely lovely. I've got some odd balls of wool waiting to be made into a blanket, and you've inspired me, I think I shall try a ripple. Although my crochet skills are fairly limited. The colours you've used are wonderful together, you've woven a touch of magic into it I think. I loved the other one that used to be in your header a lot as well. You have a talent for colour selection.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful, beautiful - so restful and the colour combinations are inspirational. Love the mustard and pink! Very vintage. Well done - a lovely ta-dah!

    ReplyDelete
  25. One luscious blanket :) The colours remind me of ice cream :) Very inspired now to do my own ice cream blanket :)
    Jill at emeraldcottage.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  26. Another crochet triumph Vanessa!! Thanks for brightening up my morning! Just gorgeous, I think it is time I had a go at a ripple blanket, your colours are perfect, and I love that you have been able to use up all your scraps! Can't wait to see the next one! Have a lovely day, Julie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous as always, Vanessa! I am so happy that you share all your lovely makes and photos with us. Thank you. ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  28. It is truly gorgeous Vanessa!! Love how you put those colours together, makes me feel nostalgic! x

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is a beautiful blanket! It would feel like being wrapped in springtime. =) Simply lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your new blanket is beautiful, but as you say definitely has that days of yore look to it - as per Phoebe!! Hope that you are loving it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's gorgeous no wonder you are in blanket love, I started a Ripple blalnket last year but my concentration and ME brain was not up to it, but one day I will make one, I need a ripple in my life
    Clare xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. It's gorgeous, love the colours

    ReplyDelete
  33. Gorgeous, just gorgeous. For a blanket that is allegedly "scrappy" it looks remarkably cohesive and well thought out. Your use of colour is excellent, you have such an eye for it. x

    ReplyDelete
  34. It's beautiful! I love the soft, gentle, easy on the eye colours you chose.
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful colours ... Looks so soft and snuggly. I, like you, am an eclectic kind of girl! Currently making a sampler blanket in the softest grey and finding that I love it with its simple elegance ... Who knew?! Love your blog and the colours make my heart sing. Emma x

    ReplyDelete

❀ Thank you so much for leaving a comment. If you ask me a question, I will do my best to reply here in the comments section. Just pop back in a day or two and I hopefully will have replied. ❀