Tuesday 19 March 2013

Finally......






Finally......I am able to get enough light to photograph my scarf. It's still not the best light. Boy, the days have just been so awful, so I have just had to make do.

Okay, my little teeny weeny ta-dah. I have named this scarf 'Lazy Daisy'. Lazy - because of my attitude towards the motifs.........and Daisy - because of the flowers in it (although, not daisy like at all!).



I did get a real sense of joy and achievement after finishing each of these motifs.......but they needed TOTAL concentration. It really reminded me that I AM NOT a fan of written patterns. I much prefer pictoral patterns to work from. I did love the finished motifs and think they complimented each other well.



So.......do I love it?

Well.........

I am a big scarf addict. I have one for every single occasion, and rarely am without one round my neck Autumn through Winter. I love their warmth, their comfort, their colour, their texture. I love how they make me feel, all cosy and snug. Like I am being wrapped up and cuddled by someone. Can you tell I like a scarf?!



So, again......do I love it?

Well........

There are pros and cons to this scarf.

I'll start with the pros......

The yarn is utterly GORGEOUS. I used Louisa Harding's Grace - Silk and Wool Yarn in 4 colours - Ecru, Frost, Kiss and Port. It was an absolute dream to work with. It's beautiful to wrap around the neck, immediately soft and comforting. NO itchiness for those of you that have the whole 'itch' thing going on with wool! I love the colours together. I love the patterns on the Motifs and I think this will go with a lot so it will not be sat in a drawer waiting to be worn.

The cons.....

The yarn is beautiful, but i'm not convinced I have showcased it to it's full potential. I used a 4mm hook for this scarf. I didn't want to go lower in size as I wanted the yarn to remain soft and luxurious and not stiffen up and lose its beautiful effect. Although blocked, I think with wear the scarf will increase in length. It maybe would have been better to have made it with a size smaller hook and had it a little stiffer. I had to make a judgement call on that and chose it maybe growing a bit. I like a long scarf remember, but this was already long to begin with. Only time will tell. Also, the motifs are really lovely, and having a scarf that gets wrapped around the neck doesn't really showcase just how pretty they really are. Some may think that all that effort has not really paid off.



So, what do I think overall? I do really, really like it. Yes, there are some cons. If I'm honest, the motifs probably would be better showcased as a bedspread or throw or such like, but making them in this luxurious yarn, it just wasn't an option to make something huge. My bank balance would have cried! I like the colours so will wear it a lot and at the end of the day, a scarf is about warmth and comfort above all else. If it grows through wear, well then, I'll just get to have an extra wrap around the neck!

It's a keeper then!

Edited to add: The block motifs were from the book '200 Crochet Blocks' by Jan Eaton. I used block 47 - Queen Anne's Lace, 94 - Gothic Square, 95 - King Cup and 165 - Coffee and Cream

xxx


53 comments:

  1. Well I absolutely ADORE it! I totally understand your concerns, but as you say, if it stretches, then it just become a little longer. Nothing worse than a horrible stiff scarf, which you probably would have had if you'd gone down a hook size. Maybe with being confronted with each of those squares every time you wear the scarf, you may decide on your next Blanket project (using one of the motifs). I have been lusting after some Louisa Harding yarn since I saw this yarn that your MIL gifted you last year. I'm currently waiting to go and collect my Louisa Harding Orielle purchases from the Post Office (I'm planning a knitted stripy scarf!) I'm a complete scarf obsessive too, so know EXACTLY where you are coming from!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely colours, it feels a lot like a spring-scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sooooo beautiful...you are so talented with many things like your photography , art of display, home interiors, craft and above all crochet~ you make me want to run out the house to the nearest wool shop and buy lots of balls of wool and get my arse into gear and try to crochet again...such pretty colours!!!!! I have a big piggy bank and each week instead of buying usual 'hoarding goodies' im putting it towards an iphone!!!!! main reason cos i miss youuuuu!!!!!
    also because i love taking photographs and prefer instagram!...oh' i think it might take me some time...but, i have a geeky best chum (he doesnt mind me saying that) who is gonna look around for the best deals...watch this space beautiful nessa i might get intune with the modern world...knowing my luck i'll get that and then something else will come out and i'll have missed the boat...big huggers my lovely xxxxx

    p.s the word verification is getting even harder lol...its almost so small i thought i was going blind...second attempt at it fingers crossed x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoorah! I had problems viewing this post at first but, my golly, it was worth the wait!!

    I absolutely LOVE your scarf. The colours are gorgeous together and anyone who wields a hook can see how much work has gone into it.

    Will perhaps a gentle wash now and again stop it from stretching I wonder?

    Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your scarf looks beautiful. I hope you enjoy wearing it. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh I think it is utterly beautiful - the colours and patterns are simply stunning!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's very beautiful. I love the motifs, I love the colorcombination.You will enjoy wearing it. Groetjes, Gerda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your scarf turned out beautifully!! :) I really like it, and the pattern of it! Enjoy wearing it! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the colours and the motifs! Like you I don't like a written pattern, I MUCH prefer a pictorial pattern - if only to confirm I've understood the written pattern!!! ;)I hope you enjoy wearing your new scarf.x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, I love your colorful Blog so much. The scarf is beautiful. I like it.
    Greetings from Olga
    *hansundgrete-shop.blogspot.com*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another magnificent work from you! I so love scarves too! Don't dare admit to anyone just how many I have. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have knit with Louisa Harding Grace before (from a half price sale mind!) and it is as you have described a beautiful wool to have against you. I would consider your scarf a triumph - just think, if you did it as a bedspread, people would not see it and give you lots of compliments. It's a great scarf. Jo x

    http://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh it looks beautiful! You must be really pleased with it, it is gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. très très jolie cette écharpe, quel beau travail ! jolie harmonie de couleurs
    bises
    Nicolette

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's it looks fantastic, in my opinion, well worth the effort and expense! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really love the colours of this scarf. These are very warming in themselves and eye catching too.
    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a pretty scarf and you have captured the colours beautifully. I love the way you haven't kept to the same motifs throughout. So much to love about this scarf. I also like the way you have joined the squares, so neat. Well done you, I am sure you will get many admiring looks when you wear this! Chel x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this pretty scarf - do you have a pattern for this?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi V,I LOVE it soooo much,the colours,the pretty blocks,just gorgeous,Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. it is gorgeous! I can't see any cons at all!

    Nikki x

    ReplyDelete
  21. The colours are delicious, and I love the motifs you have used - I think even though parts of the scarf are not seen, you see enough of the motifs to understand the beauty and (lets no forget) effort that went into it! Although you say the motif patterns were tricky to follow, I'd love to know where you found them .... I'm looking for beautiful granny squares for my daughter's blanket, and like you say these are really beautiful and would suit a throw ....
    thx Em xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I personally think it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think it is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this scarf: the yarn - the beautiful colours - the combination of patterns - the splendid workmanship! It' a triumph! Well done! Joy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Absolutely gorgeous, I love it!

    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. complimenti, è bellissima...e complimenti anche per il tuo blog che mi piace tantissimo!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You've completed your chalenge with this great result! Excellent!
    Regards Olympia

    ReplyDelete
  28. Tis beautiful Vanessa! Well worth the effort, love the colours you chose too!
    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's absolutely glorious Vanessa, the colours are gorgeous and Im tempted to sniff out the wool you used for myself! Enjoyed catching up with your inspiring blog, I know it's been too long since I bobbed by to say Hello.

    Love Julia x x x

    ReplyDelete
  30. It is stunning I love it, as a huge scarf fan too I am qualified to comment :0) xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's beautiful, the colours and motifs you've chosen are gorgeous! I'm sure you'll see enough of those lovely motifs to make all the hard work worth while!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Stunning! I love scarves made from blocks and this one is the best I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  33. So, when I make a delicious meal, I always tell everything that is wrong with it. My family always thinks I'm apologizing and tells me to stop. I have decided I do it because I am thinking about how to make it better next time, which has served them well since I have been cooking for them for 2 decades. Anyway, this post reminds me of that. I have your blog bookmarked because I am inspired by your color choices and freedom. And I love that you are always thinking of how you will do it better next time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Gorgeous, just gorgeous't it will stretch and it doesn't matter as it will still be just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Such pretty squares, wow! And wonderful colours too ♥

    ReplyDelete
  36. that's a great scarf, the motives work really well with the yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Piękny szalik!!! Serdecznie pozdrawiam

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your scarf looks beautiful Coco!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  39. it is so beautiful and I think the pros totaly out weigh the cons it is adorable - I would wear it every day x

    ReplyDelete
  40. absolutely stunning---no cons there!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Gorgeous! L♥vely colors and patterns :-))

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh it's gorgeous - I love the colours and the detail of the squares. That Louisa Harding yarn is lovely. I like to wear my scarves by wrapping them around my neck as many times as I can so I can disappear into it (I have a permanently cold nose) so this would be perfect!

    Have a lovely Easter
    Em xx (lululoves)

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a beautiful work,and your header is like the spring.
    I wish you a nice week.
    The muffin

    ReplyDelete
  44. I think it's beautiful! I'm with you on the scarves--I am a daily wearer of them myself, indoors and out. That one looks like a keeper! :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Love this scarf! The squares are gorgeous together and love the colors too.

    ReplyDelete
  46. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  47. It is beautifully feminine! I love the colors and the pattern choices. I would love to make something similar for myself and a lovely young lady I know. What was your pattern and color order? I can't imagine it being any more lovely than just as you have created it. I would appreciate your response! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

❀ Thank you so much for leaving a comment. If you ask me a question, I will do my best to reply here in the comments section. Just pop back in a day or two and I hopefully will have replied. ❀